Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Chromatic Tuner


Carol brought along with her a device that still has me amazed. It's a digital tuning tool that replaces the old-fashioned tuning pipes I remember from when I was a kid.

Here's how it works: Play a note such as a G# and the tool will display either a green light indicating you are in tune, a red light to the left of the green light indicating your note is too low (flat), or a red light to the right of the green light indicating your note is too sharp.

It was fascinating. I could have sat and tested my notes all night on that pocket-sized thing. Trouble finding that exact finger position? Play the note, read the light, adjust the finger as necessary. Maybe I'm a luddite and this kind of technology has been around for years, but I'm in love with this thing. Marvelous!

No comments:

Post a Comment