Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just Duet!

Tonight is my first practice session with Carol, a Suzuki drop-out violinist. We're gong to attempt a short duet for cello and violin by W.A. Mozart. I'm so nervous and excited that I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to practice.

Carol played until she was about 13 and, like me, she only picked up her instrument again when she enrolled her children in music lessons. I think she went as far as to hire a teacher for herself so I suspect I'll be playing catch-up with her tonight.

Thank goodness she'll be carrying the melody! It used to bum me out that cellists always get the harmony; now, I'm tremendously relieved.

Playing my instrument again after a 25-year hiatus, I've been sawing away at the same old Suzuki Book 1 and Book 2 favorites that I played in Illinois Music Association competitions of yore. ("Long, Long Ago," "Hunter's Chorus," "Gavotte".....) I was beginning to think I was sounding pretty good. But my 4:30 a.m. practice session of an entirely new piece reminds me that I am very much out of practice. Where is 2nd position?!? Did I ever even learn 3rd position? Don't I have a boring old book of scales around here somewhere?

I hope Carol has a forgiving ear!

No comments:

Post a Comment